Paper Ideas: Qualitative Research and ELSI
- Public Opinion Polling and Normative Claims
- The problem of democracy, the tyranny of the majority
- This is clearly an instance of is not leading to ought.
- But my larger concern is not that is cannot lead necessarily to ought, but rather than when "is" is intended to inform the "ought", we need a framework for understanding how that translation should be made
- The growth of social scientific methods and virtue ethics both seemed to have grown out of the same discontent with principlist ethics.
- Compare some of the critiques waged by both against that approach
- Virtue ethics provides a way to understand how empirical data lead to practice.